Sunday, December 22, 2013

2013 Challenge Wrap-Up

image via The British Library
on Flickr (amazing resource!)

2013 held a lot of reading challenges for me. I've always enjoyed taking these on even if I don't get close to finishing, although in 2014 I'll be limiting the number of challenges simply because of the scope of the Century of Books!

I didn't do too badly this year, though -- I read quite a lot. Actually I am surprised by how many of these I completed! Here is how I've done with my challenges.
**********

Canadian Book Challenge -- ongoing, as it runs from July 1 to July 1 (hosted by John at Book Mine Set)
**********
Colourful Reading Challenge -- hosted by Becca at Lost in Books
I finished this one! The challenge was to read nine books with a colour, any colour, in the title -- and I did it, just squeaking in with my last pick this week. My final list of colour books
***********
What's In A Name -- hosted by Beth Fish Reads
I've been doing this one for a few years now. I like the random categories and the varied reading they lead to. I finished this one, and much more quickly than usual! Here are the categories and my reads for each.
***********
Tea and Books Challenge -- hosted by Birgit at The Book Garden
The challenge here was to read massive chunksters. I read one supermassive tome with counted toward my goal of 2 books, Sir Charles Grandison (1600+ pages)
***********
RIP VIII Challenge -- hosted by Carl at Stainless Steel Droppings, running Sept 1- Oct 31
This seasonal challenge is always a delight. I chose to participate at the level of 4 books, but ended up reading 6. Here's the original challenge, and the books I ended up reading, plus a couple that I simply did not finish.
***********
This one challenged you to read 12 books that you've had on the shelves for more than one year. I have plenty of those, so signed up and actually completed the challenge :) I even read the 2 alternate titles on my list, though didn't make it to the full 20 I'd suggested I would. All the titles are listed and linked on the original post.
************
Wow, I failed miserably on this one. I need to focus on more good science reading! Lots of ideas for where to start at Jeff's website, too, so no excuses!

*************************

To finish up, I mustn't forget my very own challenge, the first I've hosted -- the Postal Reading Challenge! I finished up 15 epistolary books, and sent plenty of mail this year. I hope you'll consider joining in for 2014, too. You can get to all the reviews for books read by participants by following the links at the 'gateway post' (including my own). Or see the full run of my own postal reading and comments on the post here.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, you did very well! I didn't do any reading challenges in 2013 except RIP and Once Upon a Time. I am looking forward to taking some on in 2014 again just to shake things up a bit. :) I went through all the posts for your challenge and have quite a list going for myself. I am excited. haha. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually surprised at how many I finished! I'm not doing as many next year, though, just a few big ones :) Glad you found some possible reads, there are so many postal choices! I have a lot myself, thanks to everyone else's reads.

      Delete
  2. You did a great job with your reading challenges! (Instead of challenges, I participate in book tours, which challenge me to finish my reading!) I'm going to try your postal challenge more earnestly, although I can't guarantee that I'll read as many books as are required.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can make 4 then you'll have completed one level, which is great. Otherwise, you're just enjoying your reading, which is also great :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by ~ I always enjoy hearing your comments so please feel free to leave some!